How do shoppers experience product images? What is the effect of video and why? The UX team at De Bijenkorf was curious to understand how selected product visuals contribute to the shopping experience and page effectiveness.
Prepping the session
Experienced shoppers visited 2 detail page prototypes. They then answered 5 questions in the 5hellos tool.
Moderator Sophie used the individual responses and 5hellos guide to explore the impact of moving images vs. stills and different visual styles.
How the session went
Sophie guided the session through the 30 minute 5hellos conversation guide:
- Quick round of intros and shopping experiences (5 min)
- What are the high level opinions. Why? (10 mins)
- Specific likes and dislikes. Why? (10 min)
- Impact on purchasing (5 min)
Panelists shared their genuine views and shed light on how and why visual content makes a difference to them personally. Even though everyone had a different experience, one theme emerged: positive on the clear and clean visuals, but add a little ‘styling spice’.
Actionable insights for De Bijenkorf
- Offer many visual tools, in line with a luxury brand: When the shopper sees extra visual content and features such as special zoom, video and background changes, this builds on the brand and is what they expect from De Bijenkorf.
- Spice it up: Show the item as part of a full outfit to inspire, add a styling video and a huge difference can be made.
- Lose the jargon and textual distractions: Experienced shoppers are interested in the product, and allergic to ubiquitous marketing copy.
“The 5hellos sessions helped us find the view that best works for our customers. As a result, we have chosen to implement the preferred visual content and insights from the session and are currently a/b testing the conversion incease.”
Want to find out more on how 5hellos can help improve your website imaging? Let's talk.